Getting ready for CES. A frame from the CES B-roll. Used by permission. The Consumer Technology Association™ (CTA).
CES 2019 starts tomorrow morning (Wednesday, January 8 2019). We missed the show last year, but will be back to wandering the expansive aisles of technology again this year.
Every article you read about CES will reflect the biased slice the right wants to, and can, run through the show. With the enormous number of products, no one will offer exhaustive coverage. For Serious Insights, we will focus on the following key questions:
Serious Insights: Key Questions for CES 2019
- Has XR evolved beyond changing from a string of abbreviations (VR, AR, Mixed Reality)? Where are the applications? Are people standing in line again for a chance to experience a unique app?
- How is AI playing out in the consumer space. There will be dozens and dozens of AI-based tools. Is there any hint at a bigger ecosystem of solutions that collaborate and combine narrow applications?
- What is happening in mobile? We are tracing two threads here. First, how are mobile devices hosting apps that significantly point to real changes in the way people will work in the future. Second, what’s happening with the phone market. As Apple shifts to USB-C and the phone market consolidates a bit, what will accessory manufacturers do to align investments with market need? Will new form factors, like foldable phones, shift the conversation or are they fads already lined up to be also-rans?
- Will wearables find a way to move beyond buy-one-and-done? Does anyone need more than one wearable?
- Has the Internet of Things (IoT) in the consumer space finally found a way to make sense of itself by devolving from a hodgepodge of incompatible “industry standards” toward a Wi-Fi is king model that gives smart interfaces to appliances like Amazon’s Alexa and Google Assistant the upper-hand?
We will also be looking at accessories, from headphones to charging options, that wlll help improve the technology experience at work and for business travel.
Tonight we will be attending Pepcom’s Digital Experience. First pictures and thoughts on products to follow.